About the Australian Embassy in Iraq
Head of Mission
Mr Christopher Langman, Australian Ambassador to the Republic of Iraq
Mr Langman is a senior career officer of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade. He was Australia’s Ambassador and Permanent Representative to the OECD in Paris from 2008 to 2011. He has previously served as Deputy Head of Mission to the United Nations in Geneva, with earlier postings in Washington and Buenos Aires.
In Canberra, Mr Langman served most recently as First Assistant Secretary, G20 Policy, in the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet. In DFAT, he served as the head of the Trade and Economic Division (2011-12) and the Office of Trade Negotiations (2005-07). He was Special Negotiator for Agriculture from 2004 to 2005 and Australia’s Ambassador for the Environment from 2002 to 2004.
Australian Embassy Baghdad
- International Zone, Baghdad
- Mobile: +964 780 923 7565
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Consular Emergency (24 hours - Australian number): +61 2 6261 3305
The Embassy operates from 8.30am to 4.30pm Sunday to Thursday except for the public holidays listed below.
All services provided by the Australian Embassy Baghdad are by appointment only (+964 780 923 7565 or email@example.com).
The Australian Embassy is located within the International Zone in Baghdad. Iraqi security forces are responsible for and control all access points into the International Zone. Procedures and requirements for entry into the International Zone are determined by the Government of Iraq and are subject to change on a daily basis. Iraqi security forces can at any time restrict access into and around the International Zone, particularly in response to threats against the International Zone and/or security incidents occurring more widely in Baghdad. For these reasons it may not always be possible for the Embassy to provide Australian Citizens or Permanent Residents with services. Existing appointments may be cancelled with little or no advance notice.
Public holidays - 2017
The Embassy will be closed on the following public holidays in 2017:
- Sunday 01 January - New Year's Day
- Thursday 26 January - Australia Day
- Thursday 13 April - Good Friday (in lieu of 14 April)
- Thursday 11 May - Shaabanya Ceremony (in lieu of 12 May)
- Tuesday 27 June - Eid al Fitr
- Wednesday 28 June - Eid al Fitr
- Thursday 29 June - Eid al Fitr
- Thursday 31 August - Eid al Adha (in lieu of 1 September) (tbc)*
- Sunday 3 September - Eid al Adha (tbc)*
- Monday 4 September - Eid al Adha (tbc)*
- Sunday 1 October - 10 Muharam (in lieu of 30 September) (tbc)*
- Thursday 12 October - Arbaeen Imam Hussain (in lieu of 11 October) (tbc)*
- Monday 25 December - Christmas Day
- Tuesday 26 December - Boxing Day
Queries regarding visas, immigration and Australian citizenship registration should be sent to the Australian Embassy in Amman: firstname.lastname@example.org or phone +962 6 580 7070 between 9.00am–12.00pm Sunday to Thursday.